Sunday, September 21, 2014

Day 15 - Boat of Garten to Tain

The effects of cycling every day for two weeks are finally catching up with me - my lower limbs feel like lead and it's getting harder and harder to convince them to press on. In the words of Jens Voigt, all I can say to them is "Shut up, legs!" as they whimper in protest.

Our first stop of the day was in the Tomatin Village Store - as with many of the small settlements we ride through, it was the only one that supplied the village with everyday goods. We pushed on towards Inverness and finally arrived in a cafe that I've probably gone by every time I've been there - the Velocity Cafe, a charming place with a bike workshop just adjacent to it.

As we departed Inverness, we crossed the Kessock Bridge on to the Black Isle - a misnomer in the sense that it's actually a peninsula rather than an island. They didn't have bikes to travel quickly back in those days so they couldn't tell!

I needed a break from the bike later in the afternoon - I generally make do without a second cafe stop after lunch, but just wasn't really feeling it today. Perked myself up with some peppermint tea and then carried on northwards.

At this point I was riding alone but happened to bump in to the Lancashire group. Had a brilliant time trying to race up a gentle climb with Phil - probably the most fun I've had today, but it didn't last long! In all honesty, the rest of the ride (most of today, in fact) hasn't had very interesting scenery to keep me distracted - possibly part of the reason why I haven't felt really up to it, especially later on in the day. Or maybe we've just seen it all!

In the final hour to Tain, we bumped in to a fellow cyclist who was also on the cusp of completing the Land's End to John o' Groats route. He started back in June but on his fourth day (in Sheffield at the time) his knees started playing up, and this was him finishing up the rest of the journey. We rode side-by-side for a bit along with Cathy, Lindsay and Barney while chatting about our journeys so far.

The chap was doing all his riding alone so he appreciated our company - and funnily enough, so did we! I find the miles tend to go by quicker when I'm in the middle of a peloton - focused on the revolving wheel ahead with not much more than a hand's length between that and mine. One touch though.. and you're going down! So I've been told.. and I'd rather not be able to speak from experience.

It's really just the companionship that keeps me going now - I have no doubts I'd never manage to come this far on my own.. I'd be much further!!!! ;)

On a side note, it'll be great to finally see some familiar faces again this evening :)

Thanks so much guys for joining me for dinner tonight - just the boost I needed to get me through the next two days!! I'll be flying tomorrow!

















0 comments:

Post a Comment